Please, evaluate the offer:

The Dobrovo Castle

Print Add to travel planner
Address: Grajska cesta 10, Dobrovo, 5212 Dobrovo v Brdih
Phone: ++385 5 395 95 86, ++385 5 395 95 87
In Dobrovo there used to be an old castle, which fell to ruins in the course of the centuries. In its place a new renaissance building emerged in the beginning of the 17th century. The original castle has been conserved in relatively the same shape and is today one of the nicest in the Goriška region.

The layout of the house shows that the castle is almost a regular square with symmetrically set towers at the corners. The walls were probably built during the Second Venetian War (1615 – 1617) and after the war the walls were rearranged into the corridor with the arcades, one of the towers was changed into the chapel dedicated to Saint Anthony from Padua (Sv. Anton Padovanski). The chapel houses a permanent exhibition of gothic frescoes – originals and copies taken from other churches in the area of the North Primorska region.
The first owners of the castle are believed to be the counts Colloredo and from the end of the 18th century it was the property of the Catterini-Erzberg family from Gorica, then it was in the hands of the marquises of the Montecuccoli family. In 1872 the Baguer family inherited the property trought marriage.

On the first floor, the visitors first enter the Hall of Knights where the coat-of-arms of the more important aristocratic families that used to own the castle are exhibited. Here a wall painting depicting the scene of the naval attack of the city, which has survived the centuries, can be seen. Today many musical and other various events are held in the Hall of Kings. Another point of interest is the Hunter's room, where wall paintings, work of the artist Clement Del Neri from 1894, depict the properties of the count. The painter's work of arts can also be admired along the staircase.

These pieces of fine art from the past are enriched with the Gallery, which contains graphic works of the otherwise world-appraised artist, Zoran Mušič. Morever, a part of the collection of paintings of the last owner, count Bagueri, is also on display in the castle. At times other art exhibitions are held in the Gallery as well as various other cultural events that are held in the magnificent castle yard from time to time.
On the ground floor of the castle is a restaurant where you can try delicious food, and in the cellar there is a wine shop under the stone arches where you can taste some marvellous wines from the Brda region. 
Timetable: Tuesday - Friday: 8h - 16h Saturday, Sunday and holidays: 13h - 17h 


5212 
Dobrovo 
Tel. : ++386 5 395 95 94 
Fax : ++386 5 395 95 95 
E-mail :  
Web site : www.brda.si 


guided tour
individual
GPS Northing (N) : 45,9967 
GPS Easting (E) : 13,5236 

Foursquare 

Photos
Administrator : TIC Brda | ++386 5 395 95 94 | | last modified: 05/12/2013
View on map
GPS N: 45,9967
E: 13,5236

Book & Buy

Reservations
Search in:

Arrival:
Day
Month
Year

Nights
Rooms
Adult(s)/room
Show on Google Maps
Advanced search
GO!
X

Cookies

The website uses cookies to improve user experience. By visiting and using the website, you agree with cookies.
I agree
Read more