Castle Slap, Slap at Vipava
Slap, Slap, 5271 Vipava
Maltese knights supposedly settled in Slap
in 1220. They, most probably, built the castle Slap.
A medieval manor house might have stood there, but archival records first mention nobility toward the end of the 17th century. At that time Ana Margareta Zwegkhenburg owned the castle (the building was mentioned in 1691).
Baron Lovrenc Flachenfeld sold it to Jurij Anton Radovič in 1758. Between 1758 and 1818, when Count Mihael Coronini-Cronberg bought Slap, the castle changed a number of owners (Friderik Pessler bought it in 1798, Ignac Scaria and Karel Mihel Vogou in 1803). In 1831, the family Coronini sold it to Anton Snieder, a Trieste merchant, who sold it to Karel Schutz in 1841. Count Wolfgang Lichtenberg bought the castle in 1847 and sold it to Count Tadej Klemen Lanthieri in 1847. This way the building and the estate came under the Vipava dominion.
After the World War II, Lanthieri sold the manor house to the agriculture and wine school. The 3-winged building we see today was completely altered. It does not show any traces of the old medieval period. It was most probably built in the late Renaissance or early Baroque period. A well preserved, semicircular stone portal with the year 1720 carved into it reminds us of the time when the building was completely transformed. On one of the yard’s side there are several old windows and one of the sides is arched.
Glavni trg 1
Tel. : +386 (0)5 368 70 41
Tel. 2 : +386 (0)5 368 70 40
Web site : www.vipavska-dolina.si
GPS Northing (N) : 45,8397
GPS Easting (E) : 13,9329