The building called "Narodni dom" (the House of Nation) is situated in the very centre of the old town, near Sokolska street that is parallel to the Main Square, at the spot where Sokolska and Cvelbarjeva street form an angle. This building has two storeys and a front façade with nine axes; the central axis includes profiled windows and the main portal. "Narodni dom" was built between 1873 and 1885 for the purpose of the Novo mesto reading room and was the first House of Nation building at that time. In the following years, its activities ranged from various national associations, libraries and the "Glasbena matica" music school. The "Sokoli" sports association of Novo mesto has also been active in this building, therefore its alternative name has also become "Sokolski dom" (the House of Sokoli).