The parish church of sv. Ana (st. Anne) in Dolenjske Toplice
Zdraviliški trg 6, 8350 Dolenjske Toplice, 8350 Dolenjske Toplice
The Parish church was first mentioned in a document dating from the year 1334. It was originally called cerkev Matere Božje (the Church of the Holy Mother) in Toplice by Rožek, and was later dedicated to Sv. Ana (St. Anne). The present church, carries in the base the remnants of its predecessor, the medieval church from the end of the 15th century. This is especially noticeable in the presbytery, which has a distinctive ground plan formation and walled up Gothic windows and a Gothic portal in the organ loft. The medieval Gothicchurch was surrounded by walls during the period of the Turkish invasions and one tower, with loopholes, and part of the defensive wall still exist and are at the southern end of the church. The present church was constructed and thoroughly renovated in the year 1656. Matija Kastelic, who was then the resident priest was also an architect, and a famous religious writer of the time, and most probably drew the plans for the new work. He is remembered through the ? MK" inscription on the Baptismal font, which is the oldest preserved fitting in the church.
The main altar, which was built in the year 1786 by an unknown architect, is a fine example of the more tranquil late-Baroque style. A throne fills the main partof the altar, a niche with a gold-plated frame that contains a statue of Sv. Ana(St. Anne) and beside it there are alsothe statues of Sv. Joahim (St. Joahim), Sv. Peter (St. Peter), Sv. Jožef (St. Joseph) and Sv. Pavel (St. Paul). In the loft under the baldachin and above the distinctive altar which has a separated central part there is a very rich and diverse group of Marijino kronanje (the Coronation of Mary). There are also beautiful coloured windows made by Ivan Pengov in the church.
Župnijski urad Dolenjske Toplice, g. Dušan Kožuh
Zdraviliški trg 6, 8350 Dolenjske Toplice
Tel. : ++386 7 306 50 30
Access for invalids
GPS Northing (N) : 45,7565
GPS Easting (E) : 15,058