Kančevci, 9206 Križevci v Prekmurju
Beckons to the faithful from three bordering nations: The Hungarians, the Austrians, and the native Slovenians. The 'Benedički breg' hill was named after the Benedictine monastic order, which had presumably once inhabited a monastery in this very area. It can be stated with certainty that a church had been built in Sv. Benedikt (St. Benedict) in Kančevci as early as the 11th and the 12th century. The current church, which was subject to major renovations in 1896, may very well stand on the remains of the ancient church mentioned in local historical documents. The remains of a one-meter-wide brick wall, which in part proceeds through the current church in Kančevci, could represent the ruins of the foundations of the north wall of the ancient church or abbey. The tombs from the late medieval period that were found in the nave are presumed to be the remains of a former cemetery. Thus, the current church literally stands on an ancient burial site.
Archaeological excavations of the nave and the apse of the church in Kanečvci are still in progress. In addition to the medieval burial site, excavations have also led to the discovery of silver coins (pieces of silver) from the 16th and 17 century, fragments of medieval ceramics and glass, and iron nails.