Petrovče, Church of the Visitation
Petrovče 155 3301 Petrovče
The Church of the Visitation in Petrovče is one of five St. Mary's basilicas in Slovenia. Throughout its existence it has been famous as a popular Mary's pilgrimage path. The medieval three-nave Gothic church, situated in the core of the settlement, was probably built in the14th century on the order of the Celje Counts. The church received its present Baroque image with the rebuilding by Lovrenc Prager around 1760. It is distinguished by its pilaster frontage and a magnificent bell tower on the northeast side of the church. On the left in front of the main entrance stand the famous Petrovče Crosses, the work of Vid Königer from the middle of the18th century.
The main nave and all the side chapels were painted in 1875 in fresco technique by Venetian painter Jakob Brollo. The ceiling of the presbytery was painted by Anton Lerchinger at the end of 18th century in the Rococo spirit. The greatest attraction of the church is Plainer's altar from 1605 in the third chapel on the left side. Below the presbytery is the tomb of the first Slovenian poetess, Fanny Hausmann, the daughter of the lord of the castle from Novo Celje. In the choir there are the famous organs of the Italian master Gaetano Callida from 1796.
Župnijski urad Petrovče
Tel. : ++386 3 714 03 00
Access for invalids
GPS Northing (N) : 46,2439
GPS Easting (E) : 15,1897