Address: Trebnje 8210 Trebnje
Phone: ++386 7 304 40 01
The church dedicated to the Assumption of Mary is situated in the centre of Trebnje and has a copper bell tower, which can be recognised from afar due to its green colour. The current Late Gothic church with three naves and six octagonal pillars from 1443 is built on the site of an older church. It is decorated with a late Baroque presbytery with a fresco of the Assumption of Mary by the Slovenian painter Matevž Langus and built into the hall is a Roman relief of three busts.
In 2012, for the 5th anniversary of the death of the honorary citizen of the Municipality of Trebnje, the Archbishop and Metropolitan of Ljubjana, Dr Alojzij Šuštar, a monument to Dr Alojzij Šuštar was revealed on the south side of the Assumption of Mary Church. He was born in 1920 in the village of Grmada at Trebnje and worked all his life for the improvement of relations between the church and state. With his international reputation he contributed greatly to the acknowledgement of the independence of the Republic of Slovenia.
Compiled and edited by Alja Rabzelj.
Translated by Barbara Markelc.