Please, evaluate the offer:

Koper (Capodistria), the Cathedral of the Assumption (Stolnica Marijinega vnebovzetja)

Print Add to travel planner
Address: Koper 6000 Koper
The Cathedral stands in the nucleus of Koper and dominates the area between the east side of the main square, Tito Square (Titov trg), and Brolo Square (trg Brollo). The three-nave Romanesque space with three apses was built in the second half of the 12th century. The Romanesque construction is especially preserved on the south side, where typical funnel-shape windows are intact and the stonework is imitated in the facade. Towards the west the church was extended to the bell tower and in 1392 it was Gothicized. The lower floor facade by the square has remained Gothic. The upper floor was redone with pilaster separations after the fire in 1460. The decorative Renaissance elements are the most distinctive on the west side, built in 1488, and in the chiselled details, such as the portals.

In the middle of the square, right next to the west façade, stands a mighty self-supporting bell tower repaired as a city tower in the 15th century. It has four main floors. The upper is open on all sides by quadra-forums. Higher up is a terrace and an ending with an Aquileian cap. In the bell tower hangs one of the oldest bells in Slovenia (1333). It was cast by Master Jakob in Venice. The upper terrace is periodically open and offers a great view of the Bay of Trieste. The clock, positioned in the middle of the third floor, faces the square.
In the first half of the 18th century the interior was unified and arranged, and the hall was remade in Baroque style under the influence of Venetian origins into one of the largest church interiors in Slovenia. The church has had additional fittings. The work was directed by the architect Giorgio Massari. Among the interior fittings are numerous quality paintings of artists from Venice (Liberi, Celesti, Beltrame, Zanchi, Gianelli). There are more works by the even more famous artists Benedetto and Vittoreo Carpaccio. On the south side in the middle of the church hangs the Sacra Conversatione by V. Carpaccio from 1516, one of the best Renaissance paintings in Slovenia. It was painted for the of altar St. Rochus (sv. Rok). Among the sculptural works of art, a chiselled sarcophagus of St. Nazarius (sv. Nazarij) from the middle of the 14th century (perhaps Filippo de Sanctis) holds a special position, behind the altar. The image of the adored bishop is chiselled on the cover; on the circumference are the miracles of that patron of the city. The Episcopal Cathedral is done in luxurious Baroque style.

 


GPS Northing (N) : 45,5481 
GPS Easting (E) : 13,7302 
Administrator : Turistično informacijski center Koper | ++386 5 664 64 03 | | last modified: 10/08/2011
View on map
GPS N: 45,5481
E: 13,7302

Book & Buy

Reservations
Search in:

Arrival:
Day
Month
Year

Nights
Rooms
Adult(s)/room
Show on Google Maps
Advanced search
GO!
X

Cookies

The website uses cookies to improve user experience. By visiting and using the website, you agree with cookies.
I agree
Read more