The small round church in the village of Selo amidst the hills of Goričko is ascribed a prominent place among at the artistic and sacred monuments of Prekmurje. According to legend, the church originally belonged to the Knights Templar. In addition to its extraordinary Romanesque architecture, two layers of wall paintings are preserved in the rotunda, making it a site of transregional significance. It is estimated that the Rotunda was built some time during the first half of the 13th century (1205 – 1235).
Because of the architectural characteristics of the rotunda, it is believed that the preserved structure is part of the remains of a medieval edifice. 'The Journey and the Homage to the King by the Three Wise Men' is the only preserved mural composition. It is believed that it dates back to the 1330s. An artistic feel is also conveyed by the fresco depiction of the 'Passion of the Christ' from approx. 1400.
A fun fact for travellers: Entering the rotunda symbolises the return of Christ to Jerusalem. To find out why, you are kindly invited to visit the rotunda.
A brochure with all important facts and information about the Romanesque Rotunda is available at the TIC Selo (adjacent to the church) or at the TIC Moravske Toplice.