Address: Milavčeva cesta 8250 Brežice
Church of Sv. Rok
Today’s pilgrimage Church of Sv. Rok is the third building to stand on this site. The plague that struck Brežice and its surroundings between 1646 and 1652 was probably the reason the church dedicated to Sv. Rok was built. The current church was built in 1740.
Above the wooden altar with the statue of Sv. Rok is a fresco of the Assumption from the end of the 18th century, the work of the castle painter Matija Schiffer. Since 1983, the church has been substantially restored. The roof, bell tower, and façade were renovated, the windows and interior pavement replaced, and the benches restored. In 1998, the fresco of the Assumption was restored, and later the uncovering of the wall and ceiling paintings began in the presbytery and the nave.
Pilgrimage processions take place at the church on August 15 and 16 and on Sv. Rok Sunday.