The church stands in the northern part of town, on the pier of the walled historical town centre. The church was first mentioned in the founding document of the parish in the year 1228, and for the second time in 1268, when custodianship was granted to an order of German Knights.
The present church was constructed on the site of older predecessors, most likely in the middle of the 18th century. The bell tower's Baroque characteristics were replaced with the New Gothic style around the year 1880, when a one floor vestry was also added.
In 1978, during the last renovation of the facades, fragments of Antique tombstones which had been used as construction material during the building of the Baroque church, were uncovered. Located beneath the choir is a finishing piece of an Antique tombstone.
RIC Bela krajina - TIC Črnomelj
Trg svobode 3
Tel. : ++386 7 305 65 30
Fax : ++386 7 305 65 31
Web site : www.belakrajina.si
Free of charge
Access for invalids
GPS Northing (N) : 45,5703
GPS Easting (E) : 15,1925