Linhartov trg 30 4240 Radovljica
The natural pier, atop which Radovljica's Old Town
is situated, ends with the parish Church of St Peter, an exquisite example of a Gothic hall church, and renowned for its uniform style of design. It is adorned by beautifully shaped vaults, an angel star and a black marble altar.
It is thought that a private chapel stood on the site of the present-day church as early as the tenth century – probably the only building on the pier at that time. The church grew in proportion to the expansion of the town and the increase in its wealth. Around 1500, a Gothic church evolved from the three-nave Romanesque basilica.
The church serves as a typical example of a Late Gothic hall church, which were built in the fifteenth century following examples from the south of Germany. Typically, the central nave is not separated from the aisles with passages and all are the same height. Three pairs of octagonal columns support a ribbed vaulting made up of eight-pointed stars. The majority of keystones are adorned with simple rosettes, and some with figurines. The vault of the central nave is embellished by an angel star.
Linhartov trg 30
Tel. : ++386 4 537 47 00
Free of charge
GPS Northing (N) : 46,3403
GPS Easting (E) : 14,1765