Church of St. Matija, Slap at Vipava
Slap, 5271 Vipava
The parish church of St. Matija at the village Slap
was probably built in 1702, but it might be older.
Stone plates with relief carvings of consecration crosses, built in the walls, show that Maltese knights might have built, besides the castle, also a church around the year 1220. Liturgy was supposedly done in Old Slovene and Glagolica. Preserved figural corbels in the today church clearly indicate that the gothic church, which was overbuilt in 1702, was constructed by a Škofjeloka workshop around the year 1480.
In 1756, the church was consecrated again. In the middle of the 18th century, it got today's Baroque image with a bell tower in front of the chapel and facade. Arches, which are above pilasters and carved friezes, cross the navel and the presbytery. Paintings from the 1850's, made by Mihael Stroj, hang on stone, Baroque altars.
In the chapel of St. Notburga you can see a painted altar, Fran Jelovšek's work. There is also an oil painting made by Valentin Janez Metzinger. Tone Kralj painted the lunettes in the church in 1967. The bell in the bell tower was made in Goče in 1706 and it weighs 4.409,25 lbs.
Glavni trg 1
Tel. : +386 5 368 70 41
Tel. 2 : +386 5 368 70 40
Fax : +386 5 368 70 41
Web site : www.izvirna-vipavska.si
GPS Northing (N) : 45,84
GPS Easting (E) : 13,9327