Address: Vilharjeva cesta 1000 Ljubljana
When Ljubljana's old St. Christopher's Cemetery (Pokoplišče pri sv. Krištofu) was abandoned and Jože Plečnik's construction of the Baraga Seminary (Baragovo semenišče) began on a part of its site, the question arose as to where to move the mortal remains and tombstones of the prominent Slovenians removed from the site. Plečnik's first idea was to landscape a memorial park and name it the Cemetery of Innocent Children, and the second - the one that came to be realised in the end - to build a cemetery with a monumental shrine housing tombs of the most deserving Slovenians, a kind of a house of glory, a Slovenian pantheon.
The cemetery, built between 1937 and 1938, was given the name Navje, derived from Slavic mythology. It consists of an open arcaded classical building rebuilt from an old pavilion and a surrounding memorial park. Construction works were done in collaboration with the architect Ivo Spinčič and the memorial park area was landscaped by Anton Lap. Some of the tombstones removed from the abandoned cemetery were transferred to Navje's arcaded building, others were lined along the cemetery wall or scattered across the park area. The few tombs which could stay in their original place included the tomb of Plečnik's parents.
After World War II, Plečnik had four columns, originally intended for the Glasbena matica building, transferred to Navje as a final touch to the cemetery.