Address: Trg republike 1000 Ljubljana
The largest square in Ljubljana was set up in the years 1960-1981 between the Parliament and Šubičeva Street, the Ursuline monastery by Slovenska Street and Erjavčeva and Valvasorjeva Street.
It was designed by Edvard Ravnikar with numerous collaborators. For it he sacrificed the Ursuline garden, the green area that had provided the largest garden in Ljubljana from the middle of the 17th century on. The point of departure of the architecture are two thick towers with a triangular profile, set on an elevated platform. They were designed as higher towers, symbolically set on the north wall of the Roman Emona. With the towers, Ravnikar designed a new city gate between Rožnik and Castle Hill. The economic reform in 1965 stopped the impetus. Only 12 basic floors were built and the towers were concluded with different sized crowns layered with copper tin plate. The smaller one became the seat of Ljubljanska banka, the larger one, Iskra. In 1975 the west side of the square was decorated with a monument of revolution and in 1981 with a monument to the politician Edvard Kardelj.
The trading house which closes off the square by the Ursuline monastery is a piece of quality functionalistic architecture. The architect did not exaggerate in forcing the height of the building. He extended the edifice by the monastery and with that he separated the Baroque part from the new square. The store was connected by a covered basement passageway and garage.
The square's last large building is the Ivan Cankar Cultural Centre, built and fitted between 1976 and 1984. There are several halls in it; the largest concert hall with about 1500 seats is named after the composer Jakobus Gallus, and a smaller one after the dramatist Anton Tomaž Linhart. There is a smaller gallery in the centre, several exhibition areas and a restaurant. The basic arrangement of the large entrance hall imitates the cathedral in Assisi.