From the main square Glavni trg
against the flow of the river Drava, heading westwards, the road Koroška cesta, which is one of the oldest in the city and got its name from the province of Koroška
to where it actually leads. The road was once adorned with important town buildings, today on it and in its immediate vicinity we can find:
- pubs and coffee bars,
- Pristan swimming baths
- student campus,
- residential blocks of flats,
- University sports centre Leon Štukelj and
- Pedagogical Faculty, Faculty of Natural Science, and Faculty of Arts.Historical seal
In the rooms of the former restaurant Mestna restavracija there was in old times the inn Miklavž Stražil
, in which in the year 1814 resided Karadjordje
, leader of the first Serbian revolt and beginner of the Karadjordevich dynasty.
In the neighbouring building where in 1871 a printing office was established, the newspaper Slovenski narod was printed
, after that the paper Slovenski gospodar
and a variety of Catholic publications.
In the building on the opposite side of the road in the 16th century lived the town judge Krištof Wildenrainer
, who in the year 1532 defended Maribor against the Turkish army.
Just before the square Vodnikov trg, where today there is a market place, stand two of the oldest houses
that have memorial plaques inscribed with the year 1552. In the immediate vicinity stood the Gospejna or Koroška town gate
, which was knocked down in 1829.
Maribor Tourist Information Center
Partizanska cesta 6a
Tel. : ++386 2 234 66 11
Fax : ++386 2 234 66 13
Web site : www.maribor-pohorje.si
GPS Northing (N) : 46,5575
GPS Easting (E) : 15,6442