Address: Koper, Prešeren square 6000 Koper
The Da Ponte fountain stands on the northern part of the Prešeren square in Koper. The square was once named also Da Ponte square and commonly known to locals as "Muda", a word that also refers to the main town gate that also stands on the square. The gate once was the only connection of the island town with the mainland, it was also the final point of a wooden aqueduct, that provided water from the nearby hills.
The fountian was the ending point of the aqueduct and is mentioned on the same place for the first time in 1423. The fountain got its current form in 1666, when the podestate Lorenzo Da Ponte ordered it's construction and it is consequently named after him. The shape of the fountain reminds of a bridge, which also appears in the coat of arms of the Da Pinte family. Some of the experts suggest that the shape of the bridge is similar to the Ponte delle Guglie in Venice.
The fountain has an octagonal basin upon which the arch with balustrades is placed. The balustrades are additionally ornamented with four high pyramides with stone spheres on the top. The arch is additionally ornamented with three heraldic emblems, among which one belongs also the Da Ponte family. On the bases of the arch there are four human heads (faces that rapresent water divinities and easteners), which have metal mouthpieces from which the water flows in the basin. In the basin itself we can see some metal carriers that were used for leaning the water buckets.
The fountain is encircled with a constraint that was needed to prevent the cattle to reach the water. It is composed of fifteen small columns with heraldic emblems of families that donated the money for the reconstruction of the fountain. The columns are additionally decorated with stone spheres, stone fruit chests and stone pine cones.