Basically created in the Baroque style, it was laid out in its entirety for the Congress of the Holy Alliance in 1821. The south end of the square is dominated by the building of the University of Ljubljana. Over 40,000 students and 41 institutes generate a strong scientific potential in the city. The building itself was erected as a ducal palace between 1898 and 1902. Next to the University stands the Slovene Philhar-monic building erected in 1891 on the foundation of the former Provincial Theatre, which had been destroyed by fire. The Slovene Philharmonic ranks among the oldest music societies in the world, since its forerunner, the Academia philharmonicorum, had been established as early as 1701. Great names as Haydn, Beethoven, Paganini and Brahms were its honorary members. Schubert applied for the post of city music master here and Gustav Mahler was resident conductor for the 1881-82 season. Adjacent is a Biedermeier house, now the seat of the oldest Slovene publishing house, Slovenska matica, founded in 1894. The northern side of the square is dominated by the Kazina, a beautiful example of Classical architecture. In the park, called Zvezda (Star), among the remains of the walls of antique Emona, stands a copy of the gilded statue of the Emona Citizen, which was actually found here in 1836 and at first mistaken for a statue of the Emperor Constantine.