The Festivalna dvorana ballroom is housed in the building of the Baraga Seminary (Baragovo semenišče), constructed between 1936 and 1941 next to the Navje cemetery, on a location just off the present Vilharjeva ulica street, previously the site of St. Christopher's Cemetery (Pokopališče pri sv. Krištofu). This four-storey semi-circular building (which was, according to the original design by Jože Plečnik, supposed to form a circle together with another semi-circular building, which was never built) was designed on the models of Rome's Colosseum and Castel Sant' Angelo.
The building, which currently houses not only the Festivalna dvorana ballroom but also the Slovensko mladinsko gledališče theatre, the Pionirski dom youth cultural centre and a student hostel, was originally intended to provide accommodation for seminary students. On each floor on the inner side of the semi-circular building there is a peripheral corridor leading to student cells. The corridors overlook an interesting enclosed atrium courtyard.
The central part of the building was converted for use as a ballroom by the architect Anton Bitenc in 1956. Since then, a monumental stairway flanked by columns and decorative sculptures leads to the ballroom. Impressive columns also adorn the vestibule and the ballroom.