Height above sea level
in the countryside
The old part lies on the slope of hill Tabor, around which the ground sinks from time to time, due to the Karst phenomena. Excavations from the Bronze and late Iron Age give evidence that the Ancient fort on Tabor was inhabited even before the 8th century BC. Remains of Roman graves are kept in the Museum of Trieste. Later, the tabor (the largest fort in the region, covering an area of 1 ha) was built on the spot as a defence against pirates, Hungarians and Turks. In 1895, a convent (Zavod šolskih sester) was built from the remains of Tabor, in which schooling began to take place in 1898. Today it is rearranged into an apartment block. The oldest church in the Karst region, dating back to the 11th century, used to stand where today is the parish church of St. Peter and Paul. The inside was painted by Tone Kralj. Near the graveyard also stands the church of the Virgin Mary covered with limestone plates (skrle). The Kosovelova domačija house was rearranged as a memorial collection of the Kosovel family.
Famous citizen : Srečko Kosovel and others Kosovel`s, Albin Kjuder Tomajski, Anton de Goppo, Jakob Križaj, Pavel Frančišek Klapše, Franc Bilc, Pavel Knobel, Anton Ukmar, Pavel Pupis, Anton Černe, Urban Golmajer, Matija Sila, Viktor Šonc, Peter Rože, Urbana Viktorija Gorup, Albin Kjuder, Albert Miklavec
Automobiles : Situated along the regional road from Sežana to Nova Gorica, between Križ and Dutovlje.
GPS Northing (N) : 45,756
GPS Easting (E) : 13,8551