The settlement of Šalovci lies in the valley of the Velika Krka stream 27 kilometres from Murska Sobota and four kilometres from the international road and rail border crossing at Hodoš. Šalovci currently has a population of under 500, although at the start of the 20th century it was one of the largest settlements in the Goričko region. In the 16th century Šalovci was an important centre known by the name of Sal. The land registers describing the Upper Lendava estates in the period from 1541 do 1566 mention Šalovci as a commercially significant market town and the seat of a judicial district. Before 1600 Šalovci was also an independent parish. The church was burnt down in around 1605 – during the Bocskai revolt – by Hungarian rebels rampaging through Prekmurje under the command of Gregor Nemethy. According to a contemporary account, "The rebels burst into the church at Šalovci and tore from the image of the Virgin Mary the many valuable silver gifts that believers had hung upon it. One of the soldiers, standing on the altar, made to jump down but his spurs caught in the altar cloth and he fell heavily. This made him so angry that, with curses and imprecations, he threw the cloths, vestments and wooden items together in a heap and set fire to them." As a result the church burned to the ground and the parish ceased to exist.