Tourist Information Center:Tic Koper
Titov trg 3, 6000 Koper
++386 5 664 64 03
Height above sea level
in the countryside
The original settlement was formed in Kortina, where the former school from 1908 still stands.
The nearby hamlets are Bočaji, Jurasi, Gonja-či, Kozloviči and Vršič (the viewpoint above the valley of the Dragonja River). In 1067, Emperor Henry IV donated Truške (Ceruscolo, Truscolo) to the Bishops of Freising and the village later became the property of the Koper discesan county of Koper and was enfeoffed to various noble families of Koper. In his Corografia Ecclesiastica from 1700, the Bishop of Koper, Paolo Naldini, says that the village is scattered across hills that are partially vegetated and partially bare. The broadest and highest hill kept the original name of Stare Truške (Vršič). A large village, with its original roots of the parish church, dominates its steep ridge above the wide and long Dragonja Valley. However, numerous inhabitants scattered along different parts of the parish saw this place as too inconvenient and too remote, so the Bishops of Koper decided then to move the church to another more accessible hill in the centre of the parish named after the patron St. Cantianius. The village saw swift economic, cultural and educational development in the second half of the 19th century, when Truške and Boršt, became part of the Marezige municipality. In 1908, Truške received a primary school following the model of the School of Emperor Franz Joseph I in Korte above Izola. Albin Virant was appointed teacher and headmaster of the single-grade school teaching in Slovene and was joined by another teacher a year later. In 1913, the single-grade school was expanded into a two-grade school and Karl Jakopec was appointed temporary teacher. The Straža Choral Society was established in the village in 1902 with its chairman being Ivan Kocjančič. Truške is also the home of the Slovenian politician and publicist in Trieste Josip Agneletto (1884-1956). During the National Liberation War, Truške housed the Koper Command for a while and part of the village was burnt down in the German October offensive of 1943.