Tourist Information Center:Tic Koper
Titov trg 3, 6000 Koper
++386 5 664 64 03
Height above sea level
in the countryside
Socerb is a clustered village that the locals used to call Str-mec.
It developed in a broad semicircle below a rock dominated by a castle. The village lies below the Karst edge of Podgorski kras along the Kastelec-Prebeneg road on the ridge between Dolina (San Dorligo della Valle) on the Italian and Osp on the Slovenian side. The position of the village and the castle on the edge of the Karst rock is unique, as it provides a magnificent view of the flysch hills of Slovenian Istria, the littoral towns and the entire Gulf of Trieste. There are rich archaeological sites in the immediate vicinity of the village and the castle from the prehistoric and Roman eras and numerous caves and pits, including the Sveta jama cave and the Socerbska jama za Vrhom cave (or Jama pod Vrhom). The village consists of a number of villages whose design is close to the Karst ambience. The main construction material for the homesteads was stone, with tradition, economic power and the general cultural level playing an important part. Even though the village has an enclosed urban appearance, each homestead was an independent unit. Its central space was the closed yard – a »korta« where the locals conducted most of their work throughout the year protected from the harsh bora wind. A beautiful example of a closed yard is still evident upon inspecting the Vončova domačija homestead. The old houses were mostly restored after the Germans burnt them down in October of 1943 and show characteristics typical of farmhouses in Bržanija. There are only two houses located outside the village centre, on the path towards the castle. The central part of the village is by the Church of St. Socerb (St. Servulus) and the public watering place that was restored in recent years. The origins of the village date back to the second half of the 13th century when the territory of Socerb, which was part of the Trieste diocesan county from the 10th century, came under the Trieste Commune. From the 15th to the 18th century, the vast territory surrounding the castle was a feudal estate with territorial rights, a regional court and two tollhouses that generated a good income. At the turn of the 17th century, the villagers mostly engaged in wine-growing and, to a slightly lesser degree, in gardening. From the 16th century onwards, the villagers mostly engaged in cattle husbandry and sheep breeding, which later subsided. In the 19th century, the village, which had a village self-administration system after the feudal system was abolished, was bound directly to Trieste as the industrial and commercial centre of the Austrian Littoral area. The vicinity of Trieste facilitated the development of non-agricultural activities, especially baking read, restaurants and partially wine-growing, animal husbandry and the related dairy farming. In the years preceding the First World War, the village was part of the district captaincy and judicial district of Koper. It was one of the fourteen villages of the Municipality of Dolina and had 136 residents in 1910. Together with the nearby Kastelec, the village formed the 730 hectare large Socerb cadastral municipality. The church in Socerb was one of the subsidiaries of the Dolina parish. The village cemetery near the old church was moved in 1904 to a new location between Socerb and Kastelec. The succursal Church of St. Socerb dates from 1867. The church was partially built from the material of the older church that stood in the immediate vicinity of the castle. This is why 1648, the year in which the old church was built, is carved above the entrance. That old church fell into a state of dilapidation however due to the strong bora winds and other weather conditions until they finally pulled it down. The high altar is adorned with the image of three female saints from the 19th century and the side altars show the image of a Jesuit – a saint (also from the 19th century) and of Mary on Clouds with two Apostles from the 17th century. There is a square stone bell tower (12 m) next to the church with a pyramidal tiled hipped roof.