Tourist Information Center:Tic Koper
Titov trg 3, 6000 Koper
++386 5 664 64 03
Height above sea level
in the countryside
Trsek is a clustered village on top of a hill descen-ding steeply into the Dragonja Valley. It consists of Zgornja vas and Spodnja vas, which the locals call Petehi.
Along with other nearby villages, the German Emperor Conrad II the Salian donated Trsek (Tersecco) to the Patriarchs of Aquileia in 1028 and, in the 13th and 14th century, the village became the property of Momjan Counts. In 1488, feudal rights over Trsek were given to the Vida noble family from Koper and to the Bratti family in 1505. Parts of the old village architecture with water wells and fireplaces are still preserved. The Zgornja vas and Spodnja vas settlements are separated by a chapel and a memorial plaque from the National Liberation War. There is a marked path from Trsek to the Dragonja Valley pass, the restored source of the Jesik and the Mazurin Mill, which was in operation until 1960, to the 17-metre waterfall in Stranica.The Mazurin Mill is located on the left bank of the Dragonja River, not far from the mouth of the left tributary of the Stranica. It is the only mill on the Dragonja River preserved in all its historic glory. Oral tradition says that the mill is about three hundred years old and named after its owner Štefan (Černaz) Mazurin. Its appearance was undoubtedly very different to what it is today. The mechanism was driven by two water wheels, one made of wood and the smaller one of metal. The locals from Trsek, but also those from Pavliči and other neighbouring villages, used it to grind maize and other cereals. The Church of St. Bridget with its open belfry is somewhat secluded above Zgornja vas and was mentioned in 1700 by the Bishop of Koper Paolo Naldini in his Corografia Ecclesiastica, stating that it is appropriately adorned with an altarpiece.