Tourist Information Center:TIC Koper
Tito square 3, 6000 Koper
+386 (0)5 664 64 03
Height above sea level
in the countryside
Lopar is a village on the mountain ridge above the upper part of the Rokava River valley.
The village of Villis Luparis was mentioned in 1186 in the deed of donation to the Koper Diocesan County and the Koper bishops later granted estates in Lopar by means of investiture to the Koper nobility. In 1534, Bishop Defendo de Valvassori granted the right to tithe paid by the Lopar peasants to the Verzi noble family. In their works, Nicolò Manzuoli and Prospero Petronio mention that, according to folk tradition, the Christian martyr St. Jeruf (Rufin, Rufo), who Naldini says died a martyr’s death sometime around 300 AD, supposedly came from Lopar. At the time of the Genovese invasion of Koper in 1380, his relics were secretly transferred to Momjan territory, to the Church of St. Nicholas and later to the Momjan Parish Church. The cemetery Church of St. Jeruf above the village (the Truške parish) and the church bell from 1434 give proof of the early origins of the village distinguished by its valuable architectural heritage. In more recent history, the »Hiša od čuda« and »Hiša od Bardinca« have been refurbished and now house the local ethnological and historical collection. During the II World War Lopar was a famous partisan centre with the partisan school operating in the village for a while, as well as the base of the Koper Marine Detachment.