Besenghi degli Ughi Palace
Gregorčičeva ulica 76 6310 Izola
00386 5 662 67 0000386 40 631 034
The Besenghi degli Ughi Palace is one of the most well preserved late Baroque monuments in Slovenia and one of the greatest buildings in the Littoral region.
Given the circumstances, the three-storey palace was built in a relatively short period of time between 1775 and 1781. For the construction of their palace the distinguished and well-off family Besenghi chose Filippo Dongetti from Milan, one of the most important architects of that time. The stone lion in the building’s corner, dating from the 13th century, was found beneath the ruins of the building that stood there before the palace was erected. The family also had a large library. There are about 3,000 books and manuscripts from the 16th and 17th century in it.
Nowadays the Besenghi degli Ughi Palace hosts the Izola music school and also wedding ceremonies.
Tourist information office Izola
Tel. : 00386 5 640 10 50
Fax : 00386 5 640 10 52
Web site : www.izola.eu
GPS Northing (N) : 45,5395
GPS Easting (E) : 13,6584