Phone: ++386 7 495 12 55, ++386 41 927 628
The preserved nucleus of the Renaissance Orešje or Bizeljsko Castle dominates an accented rise in the middle of the vineyards of Bizeljsko. The castle was first mentioned in the year 1404. In its constructed core it preserves the form of the castle with its Gothic elements, an arched yard and the chapel of St. Hieronymus (sv. Hieronim), dating to the year 1623. In 1532 the Tattenbachs came to the castle and were in possession of it until 1671. Later the name Windischgraetz was among its famous owners.
The castle is comprised of the residential nucleus and a broader fortification section. The outer defence zone with its wall and towers is partly in ruins. The residential part is comprised of diverse tracts which surround a modest arcade courtyard from the 17th century. Arcades in the inner courtyard are painted and have been partly added on to, though unsuitably.
The older tract of the castle with its developed towered nucleus stands out. The supposed remains from the 11th century were replaced by a built edifice in the 14th century. The chapel with a slim early Baroque design situated at the entrance is artistically interesting. The altar fittings of the chapel are awaiting restoration. Smaller defence towers and a newer tower with a clock are special features. In large halls that line up like a series of continuing rooms, there are the remains of stuccowork form the late 18th century and decorative paintings, but almost no castle fittings. The state arranged part of the rooms for the keeper and renovated the castle roof.
The occupants arranged a wine cellar and adapted it for tourists.