Maribor market place in Lent
, Maribor Art Gallery
, football stadium Ljudski vrt, City Park
– all within reach of the street Strossmayerjeva ulica, named after a Croatian bishop, Maecenas in culture and founder of the Yugoslav Academy of Science and Arts, Josip Juraj Strossmayer.
On this road you will come across the building of the former cloister of the Celestine nuns. The first part of the building is the onetime Šentpavel mansion, where the monastery from Šentpavel in Labotska dolina in Koroška had the administration for its vineyards and mountainous lands. The Celestine order purchased the mansion in the year 1759 and towards the north added on the Church of the Assumption. In 1782 due to the Emperor’s reforms the cloister was dissolved. A military dressing room was set up in it and it became home to a military regiment. Later still it became a coffee substitute factory. In the year 1845 with additional works the monastery and church became the most beautiful Late neo-Classicist building in Maribor. The new owner Baron Goedel Lanoy with a new tract connected the church and thus rounding off the whole building complex. From 1951 to 1954 the building was renovated according to plans by the architect Saša Deva and gave it the look of the present-day Art Gallery Maribor.
Tourist Information Center Maribor
Partizanska cesta 6a
Tel. : ++386 2 234 66 11
Fax : ++386 2 234 66 13
Web site : www.maribor-pohorje.si
GPS Northing (N) : 46,5584
GPS Easting (E) : 15,6413