Selo is the centre of the west part of Ajdovščina Municipality - it lies in the central part of the Vipava Valley where from the state road Ajdovščina - Nova Gorica the road towards Dornberk and Šempeter branches off. The village is comprised of several small villages: Britih, Barkula, Mandrija, Na vasi or Na gorici, Bauč, Gornji konc, Guno and Maitov hrib.
Tourist Information Center:Ajdovščina Tourist Information Center
Cesta IV. Prekomorske 61a, 5270 Ajdovščina
++386 5 365 91 40
Height above sea level
in the countryside
Average summer temperature:25 °C
Average winter temperature:5 °C
Across the area of the present village leads the Roman Road Aquileia - Siscia. A part of this road was found in 1865 west of Selo and the road was documented at the end of the 19th century by the historian Simon Rutar. Near the road numerous archaeological items were found. Rutar reported that under Sovin, several finds of old money and weapons were made.
Points of distinction : Most probably for a short time in the vicinity of Selo was the border between the country of the Langobards and Constantinople Istria. Perhaps before that on the same line ran the border between the country of Eastern Goths and Constantinople. There is a valuable CROSS made from silver-plated metal and used for processions at the Church of Saint Michael which is worth seeing. This is a rich Baroque work of art with the figure of St. Rochus (sv. Rok), the protector of the village. The cross is probably from the 17th century as well as a beautiful STONE HOLY WATER FONT at the entrance to the Church of Saint Michael which is one of the oldest in the area (first half of the 19th century).
The present BRATINA STABLE, almost 400 years old is considered to be the oldest building in the village. The former residential house is a typical stone building which has had its original architectural features preserved.
On a hill north from the village there are visible remains of the MAITI CASTLE – the country seat of the de Maiti family, which was built in 1666. The manor has almost entirely preserved walls and a unique vaulted cellar.
Post Office : 5262 Črniče
Tourist association : Društvo za kulturo, šport, turizem in razvoj Studenec
Selo 39, 5262 Črniče
GPS Northing (N) : 45,8895
GPS Easting (E) : 13,7882