Tourist Information Center:TIC Koper
Titov trg 3, 6000 Koper
+386 (0)5 664 64 03
Height above sea level
in the countryside
Rakitovec is a scattered village at the foot of Kav-čič (883 m) and Breg (595 m) in the dry valley along the Brest (Croatia) – Zazid road.
Numerous larger depressions indicate that there is an underworld stretching below Rakitovsko polje from Račja vas near Lanišče on the Croatian side towards the source of the Rižana River. In the area of Kavčič, there are two caves in the Boriževe Valley and the Nadglavinjak hill, there is a rock shelter near Vale in Gabrka and a dripstone cave in Radote on the border between Rakitovec and Brest. The area of Rakitovec was settled at the time of the older Slavonic colonisation of Istria from the 9th to the 12th centuries, while the village saw its peak in the late Middle Ages, when lively trade and smuggling (cattle and salt) developed along the main road from Čičarija to Koper. Along with other villages on the Karst edge, Rakitovec (Rachitoui, Rachito-vic) became part of the Koper Commune in the mid 13th century. It protected income from Čičarija, which leads us to believe that there was a defence tower in this area. As the last village of the Koper territory on the border between Brkini, Čičarija and Karst, the village maintained its protective function until the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797. During the Uskok War (1615-1617), like other frontier villages, Rakitovec was plundered and burnt down and a lot of its inhabitants were killed. In administrative terms, it remained part of the Koper District until the fall of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy in 1918. During this time, the Cyril and Methodius Society in Istria built a primary school in the village and the railroad administration laid water pipes from Brest to the Rakitovec railway station in 1876. Until the Second World War, the village was part of the Municipality of Buzet (Croatia). After the war and until 1995 it was part of the Municipality of Sežana and it became part of the Municipality of Koper in 1995. The Church of St. Cross (Predloka parish) was built in the first half of the 16th century (1520) and restored in 1870. The bell tower was destroyed during the Second World War. The village takes pride in its well preserved architectural heritage with its modest stonecutting details such as wall niches with images of Christ on the cross that adorn almost every house.