Address: Rimska cesta 37 3311 Šempeter v Savinjski dolini
Phone: ++386 3 703 34 70
The church was first mentioned in a written document in 1256 and used to belong to the Cistercian Abbey of Stična. The Abbey of Stična was dissolved in 1783 by the Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II and the St. Peter parish became an independent unit.
The church was built in Romanesque style and later enlarged by late Gothic presbytery and bell tower. In the late 18th century the church was rebuilt in Baroque style and a rosary chapel was added. In 1826 the abbey church in Novi Klošter was pulled down and its great altar from 1750 was moved to the parish church of St. Peter. The famous statue of Madonna and Child from 1320 was also transferred from there. In 1860 the church was consecrated by Bishop Anton Martin Slomšek. The last major adaptation of the church, the extended presbytery, new sacristy and new stone altar, was finished in 1913. In 1998 the beautiful new church organ was added.
Šempeter v Savinjski dolini
Tel. : ++386 3 703 34 70
GPS Northing (N) : 46,2558
GPS Easting (E) : 15,1222