The church is placed in a lonely location above the village Orehovica
. Local people call the place Povhovec. It is not known when the church was built, but it was most probably built for winegrowers to pray to God to give them what is needed for a good harvest. It was consecrated in 1642. Once there was an interesting wooden altar, depicting the coronation of Virgin Mary by the Holy Trinity. The altar makers were supposedly inspired by the famous, Ljubljana master Francesco Robba.
After the World War II, the church was demolished and didn't hold a service for many years. Only some parts of it were preserved: facade with the bell tower, internal arches connecting the nave to presbytery and walls' remains. Today's church, consecrated in 1988, doesn't bear much similarity to the previous one. It has a restored bell tower, nave with a wooden ceiling. The entry doors have a rectangular, wooden frame. On the south side of the church there are 2 preserved windows.
The famous altar is replaced with a painting of The Holy Trinity, in the background there are images of the villages Orehovica in Škrle. In front of the altar, on the right side, there is a painting of The Sacred Heart of Jesus, on the left of The Sacred Heart of Mary.
Mass only takes place 4 times a year. Local people, nevertheless, like to go there.
Glavni trg 1
Tel. : +386 5 368 70 41
Tel. 2 : +386 5 368 70 40
Fax : +386 5 368 70 41
Web site : www.izvirna-vipavska.si
GPS Northing (N) : 45,784
GPS Easting (E) : 13,975