Cerkveni trg 1, Lendava, 9220 Lendava
The area surrounding Church of St. Catherine represents the spiritual nucleus of Lendava. We could say that the heart of the city starts beating right here on this spot.
In 1777 the parish of Lendava fell under the administration of the archdiocese of Zagreb. Later on it became part of the diocese of Szombathelys. After the First World War it became part of the diocese of Maribor (Lavantin). Today it forms part of the diocese of Murska Sobota, which was founded only recently.
The first church of Lendava, built at the end of the 12th Century, was torn down by the Tatars. At the beginning of the 16th Century, János Bánffy ordered the building of a monastery along with a church in the northern part of the city. The Turks later tore down this church. This building must have been very impressive and luxurious, since four reliefs of it are still on display at the National Gallery in Budapest.
Even before the building of St. Catherine's Church, this site was undoubtedly occupied by a church, which was built by Kristóf Bánffy in 1608 as a memorial of the battles fought against the Turks. As a church patron the Esterházy dynasty built a smaller church on the spot of its precursor. Later on, in the years between 1749 and 1751, they built St. Catherine's Church, which still stands to this day.
Roman Catholic Parish, Lendava
Tel. : ++386 2 578 83 30
Fax : ++386 2 578 83 30
Web site : http://www.zupnija-lendava.si
guided tourindividualAccess for invalidsGPS Northing (N)
: 46,5658 GPS Easting (E)