Bodonci is a settlement lying at the southern edge of the Goričko region, where mountain and valley meet. If we look at the history of the village, we find the first written references in the 14th century, when the church of "St Lenart" already stood in the village, then known as Bodonick. A later reference tells us that there was a chapel dedicated to St Leonard in the village. This chapel probably stood in the old Catholic cemetery. The village had more houses and inhabitants at that time than it does today. The village extended towards the east, towards a wood known as Bükovšček. Evičnjekov Breg (breg means "hill" or "slope") was also inhabited. The people cleared the forests in order to grow food and planted fields (Trbeže is one such complex of fields in the village). From 1590 onwards the villagers began to convert to Protestantism. In 1792 the villagers held their first religious service, in a barn belonging to Mikloš Vlaj (this was the origin of one of the oldest Protestant parishes in Slovenia). That same year, with the development of education, a Protestant school opened in the village. The language of instruction was Slovene until 1888 and then Hungarian until 1919. The present-day Protestant church in Bodonci was built in 1899. In 1923 a volunteer fire brigade was founded in the village, complete with its own band. The religious school was abolished in 1930 and a national school with four classes opened. At this time the people of Bodonci used to gather in two inns, Domijan's and Štivan's. The latter was famous for its association with the accordion player Franc Štivan. There was also a shop – Hahn's – in the village. During the war the village was under Hungarian control. Following liberation, the village began to turn increasingly towards agriculture. One of the first agricultural cooperatives was formed, with its own shop in Bodonci. Two village inns – Makari's and Maršik's – became popular gathering places. The village began to take on its present appearance, with its fire station, shops, school, church, local administrative office and post office. The villagers are proud to live in a neat, orderly, well-developed country village with plenty of fields, meadows, barns, vineyards and orchards. The people of Bodonci continue the work of their ancestors with goodwill and plenty of enthusiasm.