The Church of St Peter stands on a gentle slope in the middle of the village, right next to a curve in the road. A stout cube-shaped structure with a gable roof and a small adjoining bell tower rises from behind a low wall. A noteworthy stone piece is the signed and dated west portal (Gregorius Ruckhenstain, Magister operis, 1544), adorned with a shallow surface relief. Above the portal is the Renaissance coat of arms of the Thurn family (1548). The neo-Gothic tower spire was built in 1878 and the church roof was fixed in the 1990s.
The layout of the central hall is almost square. Two arcades, designed in 1525, with three piers each, divide the nave into three equal parts. A special feature is the coffered flat wooden ceiling with painted ribs and inscriptions in Slovenian. The Renaissance ceiling dates from 1577. Along the outside walls of the two side naves, in front of the triumphal arch, run two triple-arched arcades with frescoes and baldachins. Each features two altars. The presbytery is wide and vaulted with Gothic ribs. In the south and north sides of the presbytery are two galleries. Younger than the church itself, the interior reflects manneristic and baroque styles. The main altar, with elaborate carvings, came from Facio’s workshop (1739). The altar paintings were painted by Valentin Metzinger. Several side altars were completed in the first half of the 17th century. Suspended from the nave ceiling is a precious Baroque statue of the Madonna (18th century).
The church is well looked after and open to visitors.
Tel. : ++386 1 3645 124
Tel. 2 : ++386 1 3640 083
Web site : www.grad-polhovgradec.si
GPS Northing (N) : 46,0605
GPS Easting (E) : 14,3458