Podsreda 45 3257 Podsreda
St. Ema (before 995 – about 1045) and her family owned an expansive estate in Lower Carniola where the worship of St. Ema has been preserved up to the present day. Mokronog, the Church of St. Rupert in Šentrupert, the Škrljevo castle, the Mirna castle, Trebnje, the Šumberk castle and the Stična monastery are the stations on Ema’s route of pilgrimage in Lower Carniola.
The Mokronog castle was allegedly built in the 11th century. It is supposed that Ema had it built. The castle of a market town was the governing centre of the land tenure, which was donated by St. Ema in year 1043 – 1044 to the monastery in Gurk. According to a legend a white leather shoe, cogrimmed, should be kept in Mokronog. It was assumed that it belonged to Ema. In the 15th century her statue was decorated with that shoe.
Šentrupert (St. Rupert church) was important in the Middle Ages because the counts of Friesach-Zeltschach, the owners of vast feudal estate, had their seat in the neighbouring castle of Škrljevo. In 1044 Ema donated this estate to the monastery in Gurk, after its closure it belonged to the diocese of Gurk. The parish church of St. Rupert placed in the middle of the settlement is one of the most beautiful Gothic churches in Slovenia. On the keystone on the northern part of the arched nave St. Ema and her husband William are portrayed.
The Škrljevo castle is placed on the gentle rise at the foot of the Vesela Gora hill near Šentrupert in Lower Carniola. It was a feudal post of the church in Gurk and is mentioned for the first time in 1130. It is the estate that was given to the count William II. of Friesach-Zeltschach. After his death Ema gave the estate to the diocese of Gurk.
The Mirna castle is one of the oldest castles in southeastern Europe according to latest researches; its beginning has not been defined yet. In the time of tribal relations the castle played the role of a high fort to control the motion of the tribes in Posavje region. In the reign of the dynasty of the Friesach-Zeltschach this region became the Savinjska march with its seat in the Mirna castle.
The church of the assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Trebnje is mentioned for the first time in 1170. It was built in the 15th century in late Gothic style with typical narrow church tower with pointed Gothic roof and represents the dominantly and visually indispensable component of Trebnje.
The Šumberk castle was taken over by Ema’s descendants immediately after her death and it played an important role in the times when the bishops of Gurk strove for her beatification. According to historical resources the bishop Ulrik III. had his seat in the diocese of Gurk in 1466, who was allegedly Ema’s remote ancestor of the Šumberk dynasty. Together with the bishop Janez he strove with all his might to achieve the canonisation of Ema, but because of the confusion caused by Luther they did not succeed. The counts of Višnja Gora originated from the Šumberk dynasty.
The Cistercian monastery in Stična is the oldest active monastery in Slovenia. It was founded 38 years after the formation of the Cistercian order and during the life of the great Cistercian monk St. Bernard from Clairvaux (1090 – 1153). The beginning of its erection goes back to 1132. Peregrin I. the patriarch of Aquileila issued the founding document in 1136 to legally verify its existence. Brothers Henrik, Ditrik and Majnhalm of Friesach-Zeltschach, secured its land tenure.
Goliev trg 5
Tel. : ++386 7 348 11 28
Fax : ++386 7 348 11 31
Web site : www.trebnje.si
GPS Northing (N) : 45,9076
GPS Easting (E) : 15,006