Please, evaluate the offer:

3J – along the path of the jewels of our churches

Print Add to travel planner
Organizer : Tourist information centre

Address: Trg svobode 18, 4290 Tržič
Phone: +386 4 597 15 36
Fax: +386 4 597 15 13
e-mail:
www.trzic.si
We will start our tour in the town centre of Tržič, where, after a short walk, we will view the Church of St. Joseph (sv. Jožef). It stands on the hill above the town from where there is an extremely beautiful view of the old town centre and the Begunjščica.
The church with two chapels forms the shape of a cross. The main altar was first wooden, however, in 1860 a stonemason, Mr. Vurnik from Radovljica, made a new marble altar on which the holiest sacrifice was first presented on 25th November 1860. Both side altars are wooden and fashioned in the Baroque style. On the evangelist side it is dedicated to St. Joachim. The altar on the other side is situated in the chapel and dedicated to St. Rochus.  In the middle of the 18th century another altar was erected here, which is dedicated to the Guardian Angel.
For the inhabitants in those times, the Church of St. Joseph was a real pilgrimage church. They would come in great confidence to the image of St. Rochus where they asked for healing, help from infectious diseases and other physical injuries and imperfections. There were many who did not come all the way in vain which was testified by the large number of crutches and other patients' aids which those whose health improved, left at the altar of St. Rochus. 
In the loft there were also the organs, which Peter Napret donated to the church in 1796. The organs formed something of an historical attraction as the bellows were driven by belts and it is a great shame that individual parts were taken away by children as their toys. 
After visiting the Church of St. Joseph we will drive by bus to the extreme north-east of the municipality, towards the church of St. Bartholomew (sv. Jernej), which together with the surrounding walls and old linden tree, forms the central part of the old village nucleus.  
The beginnings of the church go back to the 14th century, evident from the star-shaped Gothic ribbed vault in the presbytery and the accompanying Baroque style. The Church of St. Joseph is distinguished by Gothic frescoes from around the year 1475, which are the work of a master from the circle of Istrian painters. The frescoes cover the walls and the arch of the Gothic presbytery. On the vault there is a painting of Christ - the ruler, around him are men of the church, angels and saints, and there are paintings of saints on the walls. On the altar table stands the statue of St. Bartholomew. The church is surrounded by the church wall with a portal with an inscription from the year 1738.
Before viewing the last jewel we will stop for refreshments at a popular village restaurant. 
The Church of St. George (sv. Jurij) stands on elevated ground above Bistrica pri Tržiču. Its beginnings reach back to the beginning of the 15th century. It was a proprietorial church of the Gutenberg nobility. 
St. George saved the King's daughter Alexandra who was to be sacrificed as food to a dragon. In the feudal period he was honoured as a protector of chivalry, however, simple folk considered him a protector of cattle.
The one-nave church faces towards the east. The nave has a flat, wooden, nicely painted ceiling, which is among the oldest and best preserved in our territory. In the altar niche is a statue of St. George. On the outer part of the vestry is a painting of St. Christopher in lively colours by M. Bradaška. At the entrance to the church is a tablet with the words   »Count Žiga Lamberg, who was the first Bishop of Ljubljana, from 1463 until 1488, was born in the Gutenberg Castle to which the Church of St. George belongs«.
From the church a beautiful view opens to the Karavanke, to the plain towards Kranj, and to the Triglav mountain chain. For a pleasant conclusion of your trip we kindly invite you to the TC Deteljica. Besides the factory stores Peko Tržič (footwear) and Bombažna predilnica in tkalnica Tržič (bedsheets and linens), there are numerous specialised shops and catering facilities.
 
Min. number of participants : 10 
Max. number of participants : 30 

Visits
guided tour 

Price: 11,64 € per person  (guidance, accident insurance, entrance fees and lunch)

 
Administrator : Turistično info. in prom. center občine Tržič | ++386 4 597 15 36 | | last modified: 24/09/2013

Book & Buy

Reservations
Search in:

Arrival:
Day
Month
Year

Nights
Rooms
Adult(s)/room
Show on Google Maps
Advanced search
GO!
X

Cookies

The website uses cookies to improve user experience. By visiting and using the website, you agree with cookies.
I agree
Read more