In 1824 a wooden bridge was built right on the edge of Žiga Zois' house, which, at the beginning of the 20th century, had to be replaced in order to cope with an increase in traffic. This was no easy task due to the poor quality of the underlying ground. Alojzij Kral developed the technically innovative construction plans for the bridge, which was designed by the architect Keller. Dr Damjan Prelovšek, an art historian, described it as "a massive Neo-Biedermeier architectural language of Vienna at the end of the Art Nouveau period." It was finished, and due to the war, unceremoniously opened to traffic in 1915 .