is very suitable for leisurely cycling and hiking on the gently rolling Karst plateau, but it also offers some more challenging climbs to summits on the edge of the plateau. Because of mild local climate hiking and cycling are possible all year round, but in spring and autumn the Karst presents itself at its most beautiful. Financed by the European Union funds, an extensive network of bicycle trails was established with a total length of 360 km, enabling you to create your own bicycle trips of varying length and difficulty, ranging from short family trips to demanding mountain bike trips.
• Accommodation with half-board or lunch/dinner on the following tourist farms: Škerlj
in Tomaj, Petelin-Durcik
in Pliskovica, Abram-Žerjal
in Sveto and Pri Tavčarjevih
in Hruševica, where you can taste delicious local dishes and excellent wines, by previous arrangement.
• Accommodation in apartments and rooms on tourist farm Budni
in Vojščica, where you can taste excellent Karst wines, by previous arrangement.
• Accommodation in apartments Jera
in Štanjel, where you can also buy honeybee products (honey, bee pollen, propolis), by previous arrangement.
• You can taste chosen regional dishes and excellent wines on the following excursion farms as well: Ostrouška
in Coljava and Oru
in Avber, by previous arrangement.
• Excellent regional dishes and wines are also offered at the following restaurants: Skok
in Štorje, which offers accommodation as well, Pri Hribu
in Povir near Sežana, Grgič
in Sežana, Tomaj
in Tomaj, Ravbar
in Dol pri Vogljah, Tabor in Vojščica and Pri mlinu in Dolenja vas, by previous arrangement.
• Take a hike on a marked trail to Kokoš
(674 m), a hill overlooking Lipica, the biggest village in Slovenia, Lokev, and the oldest cave open for tourists in Europe, Vilenica; in the mountain hut Na Kokoši
(670 m) on Jirmanec you can restore your strength with a hearty hotpot.
• You can also take the marked trail to Trstelj
(643 m), the highest summit of the Black Hills (Črni hribi), separating the Karst plateau from the Vipava Valley
. In the mountain hut Stjenkova koča on Trstelj
(610 m), located just below the summit, you can restore your strength with a hearty hotpot and, in favorable weather conditions, enjoy a wonderful view of the Karst, Vipava Valley
, Gulf of Trieste and all the way to the Nanos
plateau and the Dolomites.
• Take a relaxing walk in the Sežana Botanical Park
, a protected horticultural monument where you can see 198 interesting tree species and several hundred species of exotic potted plants from all corners of the world.
• Discover the beauty of the mysterious underground world and see the famous Karst caves: Vilenica
near Lokev, the oldest cave open for tourists in Europe; Grofova jama
(Count’s Cave) in Brestovica pri Komnu and Divaška jama
(Divača Cave) in Divača.
• See the Tabor military museum
in Lokev near Lipica, dedicated to the First and Second World War.
• Visit the world-known Lipica stud farm
, established in 1580, cradle of the noble Lipizzaner horse and a cultural and historical monument of national importance. On the stud farm you can ride beautiful purebred Lipizzaner horses.
For more information about the tourist offer of the Karst contact TIC Sežana
(Sežana Tourist Information Center).