Only a few kilometres southeast of Grosuplje, in the direct vicinity of the Županova Cave, there is Tabor above Cerovo. The anti-Turkish fortification on the lookout ground was built at the end of the 15th century. The local farmers built the walls around the little Church of St. Nicholas in order to protect themselves against the Turkish invasions in the Slovene territory. Tabor above Cerovo is one of the few anti-Turkish fortifications that have been preserved until today. According to its size, it belongs among the smaller fortifications. The two-level walls with numerous loopholes and three towers represent the peasant architecture of the highest level. The towers are arranged in a way, which enables control over the entire surroundings. The Church of St. Nicholas was built on the remains of a prehistoric settlement. It was first mentioned in written records in 1526, but its Roman base gives us grounds to suspect it was already built in the 13th century. It gained its present form in 1702. The interior of the little church is adorned with frescoes from the beginning of the 16th century. Its special point of interest is the painted triumphal arch wall with the scene of the Sacrifice of Cain and Abel.
After the adaptation (1999), Tabor became one of the most important cultural-historic monuments in Slovenia.
OPEN: june - october
every sunday from 16.00 to 18.00
Admission: 2 EUR, children 1 EUR