is the dominant feature of the town situated on the pier above the left bank of the Sava. The castle was first mentioned in sources in 1249. It was renewed after a peasant rising in 1515 and at the end of the 16th century (builders of the Del Allio family). The Renaissance fortress design is comprised of four tracts that surround the inner courtyard. Part of the tracts has arcades. The outer corners are fortified by a cylindrical tower with slants in the lower parts. A two-storey building ends the main street axle of the town, which comes to an end in the main stone portal, additionally protected by the bridge and a moat.
The interior of the castle has been a luxurious Baroque residence
for a long time. The castle obtained fittings and details, which are only partly preserved, in the times of the Attems. The Baroque remaking from the end of the 17th century and the beginning of the 18th century was improved by a magnificent interpretation of illusionist and mythological paintings with numerous deities from antiquity and ideal landscapes, especially in the largest secular Baroque hall with a mirrored ceiling in our area (Frančišek Karel Remb, 1699). In the hall, images from Ovid's Metamorphoses and similar scenes are depicted. A decorated hall with preserved double staircases at the sides is the best quality secular painted Baroque space preserved in Slovenia. Frescoes decorate a two-shoulder staircase (Hercules' story) and the chapel (Glorification of the Cross) as well. The author is Franz Ignac Flurer, 1721-1727. The altar in the chapel is from the workshop of Luka Mislej from around 1718.
Since 1949 there has been a local museum
in the castle with different collections (archaeology, ethnology, peasant uprising, NOB, the Gallery of Fran Stiplovšek). It was extended in 1960 and the collections have been continuously supplemented. The museum is regularly open. In he Knights' Hall there are summer concerts.
Posavski muzej Brežice
Cesta prvih borcev 1
GPS Northing (N) : 45,9019
GPS Easting (E) : 15,5926