: Olimje 82 3254 PodčetrtekPhone
: ++386 3 582 91 61e-mail
The monastery of the Pauline friars was constructed by the slope at the end of the valley. Hans Tattenbach had it built in 1550 at the place where perhaps already in 1015 a fortification had stood, but certainly was there in 1208, The castle was remade into a monastery for the Pauline friars from Lepoglava, Croatia, in 1663. Later it was owned by the Attems. The Minorite monks have been managing the monastery for decades.
The symmetrically designed three-storey Renaissance castle building had four wings, fortified by round towers. In the years 1665-1675 the single-nave Church of the Assumption (Marijino vnebovzetje) with its rectangular presbytery, bell tower and quality contemporary fittings was added on to the basic architecture on the southwest part. Besides the church, the southern and western wings of the castle have been preserved until today. On the exterior and courtyard facades, they have been painted with Baroque architectural paintings, with columns and decorative grey geometrical fields. The courtyard arcades have been preserved. The inner areas have been entirely rebuilt, only with the exception of the area on the ground floor of the south tower. It has been arranged as an apothecary. In 1780 Anton Lerchinger painted it with depictions of famous physicians and healers of Antiquity, individual plants and Biblical scenes of healing. The apothecary, with its lobby, still serves its purpose.
The church is barrel vaulted. In 1739-1740 Ivan Ranger made illusionist paintings on the vault of the presbytery and triumphal arch. The great golden altar had been set up by 1680. It was made by Pauline carvers. The church fittings are the work of Vid Koeniger and Jožef Holzinger. The three side altars are attributed to Mihael Pogačnik. In 1766 the Chapel of Frančišek Ksaveri was added on to the church. The sculpture decoration for the chapel was done by Aleksij Koeniger. In the same year Anton Lerchinger from Rogatec painted the frescoes with the scenes of the Saints' Legend. The organs are probably the work of Janeček from 1764.
The arrangement of the surroundings of the monastery was mainly subject to the functional demands of the monastery order, as the Pauline friars were involved in healing and pharmacy, as well as with farming, wine growing and fish farming as many other orders. The complex was comprised of an arranged inner yard, and an herb and vegetable garden. Experts have confirmed the division of purposes through archaeological excavations as well as written and graphic sources. The partitioned pond with a drawbridge in front of the monastery has been renovated in its own way. In the garden in front of the monastery the healing plants and other herbs are again being carefully grown.
Minoritski samostan Olimje
Tel. : ++386 3 582 91 61
Tel. 2 : ++386 3 582 91 72
Web site : www.olimje.net
guided tourindividualGPS Northing (N)
: 46,1498 GPS Easting (E)