On a small rising above Lože
, Counts Arco are said to have built the supposedly 4 towered castle Lože (Leitenburg), which was ruled by Knights Leitenburg. A medieval castle, which was completely rebuilt by Counts Rabatta at the beginning of the 17th century, might have actually stood there. Its present appearance originates from that period. The number of floors in the castle varies from one to one and a half. It was built in Baroque style. It has a playful ground plan with two rectangular corner towers by the principal facade, in front of which there are remains of the once significant park and stairway that led into it. The added auxiliary buildings together with the castle form a large yard.
In the second half of the 17th century, Count Janez Filip Cobenzl obtained the castle. The Cobenzls rebuilt it in 1750 (carved into the portal). Count Mihael Coronini-Cronberg inherited it in 1810, the doctor Jožef Mayer bought the castle in the first half of the 19th century (1826).
The castle has been rebuilt several times. The last time it was renovated was around 1900.
Evgen Mayer allotted the castle and the estate to the newly founded fruit and wine school after the World War II. When the school was abolished in the 60's, there were apartments, agricultural cooperative's warehouse and Jože Kmetič's inn in the castle.
A beautiful, Renaissance stone portal is still preserved, while Cobenzl’s coat of arms above it isn't.
The current owners of the castle already started renovating it.
Glavni trg 1
Tel. : +386 5 368 70 41
Web site : www.vipavska-dolina.si
GPS Northing (N) : 45,829
GPS Easting (E) : 13,9345