Please, evaluate the offer:

Soteska Manor

Print Add to travel planner
Address: Soteska 8350 Dolenjske Toplice
Phone: ++386 7 384 51 88, ++386 7 384 51 91
Fax: ++386 7 384 51 89
e-mail:
www.dolenjske-toplice.si
ABOUT CASTLE
Soteska is marked by the magnificent Soteska Manor, which was in Valvasor's opinion one of the most beautiful in Carniola. It replaced an older castle, which was built in the 16th century by the Lords of Širca (Širski) after they abandoned the medieval Soteska Castle situated on the right bank of the river Krka.

SHAPE
The rectangular Manor was erected between the years 1664 and 1689 by Count Jurij Žiga Gallenberg. In the year 1793 Soteska became the property of the Auersperg Counts from Žužemberk castle and remained so until the end of World War II.

MODERN HISTORY
In the autumn of 1943 Partisans burnt down the castle, which was then used as a quarry by the local populace. At the end of the 17th century a new Baroque park was created near the Manor, which included a clover-shaped garden pavilion, later called the Hudičev turn (The Devil's tower). Its richly painted interior includes a ground floor decorated with well and portal motives painted in the illusionist style. The vault is decorated with a scene depicting the kidnapping of Ganymede by Zeus, as portrayed in Antique mythology. On the first storey one can still admire the partially visible illusionist paintings of painted colonnaded structures and recognize the monumental female figures, which personify faith, hope and love. The paintings, which date back to the end of the 17th century, were created in the atelier of the master Almanach.
The folk tradition explains the unusual name of the garden pavilion is linked to the hedonistic entertainment regularly organized by the Lords of the Castle.

Although the parties were only a reflection of the lifestyle of the aristocracy during the Rococo period, among the villagers they created an impression of sinfulness and therefore they named the pavilion Hudičev turn (The Devil's tower). The artistic, historical, architectural significance of Hudičev turn has made it a tourist destination of note.
 
Special features:
Summer events in Turn; nearby Church of Sv. Erazem, and exhibition of the Technical Museum of Slovenia, which is open every Sunday in summer between 14:00 and 19:00
 


The municipality of Dolenjske Toplice 
Sokolski trg 4 
8350 
Dolenjske Toplice 
Tel. : ++386 7 38 45 188 
Fax : ++386 7 38 45 189 
E-mail :  
Web site : www.dolenjske-toplice.si 


guided tour
individual
GPS Northing (N) : 45,7786 
GPS Easting (E) : 15,0215 

Next Exit 

Photos
Administrator : TIC Dolenjske Toplice | ++386 7 384 51 88 | | last modified: 02/04/2013
View on map

SOTESKA

View on map
GPS N: 45,7786
E: 15,0215
Place: SOTESKA

Local information DOLENJSKE TOPLICE

Book & Buy

Reservations
Search in:

Arrival:
Day
Month
Year

Nights
Rooms
Adult(s)/room
Show on Google Maps
Advanced search
GO!
X

Cookies

The website uses cookies to improve user experience. By visiting and using the website, you agree with cookies.
I agree
Read more