The Trebnje Castle, which is first mentioned in written sources in 1386 and can be traced back to the year 1000, is located on the right bank of the river Temenica, on a hill under the Ljubjana-Zagreb highway. The original owners were the lords ofTrebnje from Carinthia, while it was later run by the Ortenbuger, the Counts of Celje, the Hapsburgs and others, and was from 1812 to 1824 owned even by the local missionary Frederic Irenaeus Baraga.
The castle retained many ancient sections – a square tower with Roman foundations, a round tower from the time of the Ottoman Wars – and was completed to the way it is today in the 16th century. A stone lion from Roman times reigns on top of the castle stairs. The lion is also depicted in the coat of arms of the Municipality of
Compiled and edited by Alja Rabzelj.
Translated by Barbara Markelc.
Goliev trg 5
Tel. : ++386 7 348 11 28
Web site : www.trebnje.si
GPS Northing (N) : 45,9048
GPS Easting (E) : 15,0052