Please, evaluate the offer:

Pišece, Village and Castle

Print Add to travel planner
Pišece
Pišece is a larger elongated settlement grouped in the core, situated on the south slope of Orlica on the east border of Slovenia in Posotelj. The nucleus is dense along the village road below the Church of St. Michael. The buildings are adapted to the steep position by the slopes. In the village there are several old modes of communication: car-tracks and paths. Until World War II wine trade blossomed here, as is revealed by the large buildings that give the village an image, as well as the mill-trade.  By the Gabrnica Stream there were numerous mills arranged on the terraces. Some buildings and parts of the tools have been preserved. The small mill near the church has been renovated. In the village core the inn ("gostilna"), old school, shop and the blacksmith's museum stand out. One terrace higher the birth house of the linguist, professor and writer of dictionaries Maks Pleteršnik (Pišece, 13th December 1840 - 3rd September 1923) is arranged as a museum.

On the west side by the village stands the Pišece Castle inside a large, partially arranged park. Its scheme originates from the Romanesque times. It was built by the Archbishops of Salzburg. A large central towel was built which was statically reconstructed in the beginning of the 21st century and it was given a new roof. Its construction of hewed stones with stonemasons' inscriptions testifies that it was constructed between 1200 and 1220. It reached more than 36 m high. The Pišece Knights, mentioned in 1266, took care of the entire thing for a long time. In 1595 the castle came into the hands of the Moskon family. At that time it was given additional peripheral wings which today surround the central tower in a ring, connected to it by a covered gallery. The last rebuildings of the wings carry the seal of neo-Gothic design from the end of the 19th century. The Moskon family owned the castle until the end of World War II. After the war, the castle decayed, as it had no real keepers. Its fittings were taken away or destroyed. Only parts of the furnishings and remains of the decorations have been preserved. The castle is being renovated.

Below the park there was a terraced garden and around it a park arranged in English landscape style with numerous trees of foreign origin. The sequoias, planes, catalpas, honey locusts, and even the tough ginkgos there are extraordinary. The park is freely accessible. The castle is being renovated. Visits are possible only by announcement of your arrival in advance.

 


guided tour
individual
GPS Northing (N) : 46,005 
GPS Easting (E) : 15,6475 
Photos
Administrator : Zavod za podjetništvo, turizem in mladino Brežice | ++386 5 90 83 790 | | www.visitbrezice.si... | last modified: 16/04/2010
View on map
GPS N: 46,005
E: 15,6475

Book & Buy

Reservations
Search in:

Arrival:
Day
Month
Year
Nights
Rooms
Adult(s)
Room/Apartment
Children
GO!
X

Cookies

The website uses cookies to improve user experience. By visiting and using the website, you agree with cookies.
I agree
Read more