Address: Grajska cesta 10 5212 Dobrovo v Brdih
Phone: ++386 5 395 95 86, ++386 51 816 470
This fortified two-storey Renaissance castle from the beginning of the 17th century stands on a ridge with a view in the upper part of the village of Dobrovo. It was built on the location of an older castle. The estate was owned by the Colloredo, Catterini-Erzberg and de Baguer families.
The corners of the manor are more adorned than protected by protruding towers with a square profile. They are one floor higher than the manor and are open on each side with three arches. The yard is walled and adorned with smaller cylindrical towers on the exterior side (around 1615). Above the ground floor of the manor stand two symmetrical floors. Each has a large central hall and a series of rooms by it above the central vestibule on the ground floor. The position of the building and selected views through individual windows point to thoughtful design and arrangement. There are few older fittings, although the Gorica Museum has been trying to find as much of the original furniture and other fittings as possible and return them to the manor. Fragments of frescos with the coat-of-arms and views of the landscape are preserved, the work of Cement del Neri from 1894. There are paintings in several halls and on the staircase.
Count Silvio de Baguer set up a museum in the castle in 1885. After World War II the deserted manor was badly neglected. Extensive renovation, planned in 1979, was completed after 1991. On the ground floor of the castle there are restaurant areas and on the upper floor there is an exhibited collection of 134 graphics by our kinsman and world famous painter Zoran Mušič (Bukovica, 12th February 1909). For this collection the painter donated his works made in Italy and Paris between the years 1949 and 1980. On the first floor there is a modest collection representing the history of the castle and in the middle is an acoustic concert hall. The former park is now a parking area. Below the castle stands a bronze monument of the poet Alojz Gradnik (sculptor Jakov Brdar).
In the castle a smaller guest house is regularly open.Dobrovo - castle staircase (360°)
Brda Tourist Information Center
Grajska cesta 10
Tel. : ++386 5 395 95 94
Fax : ++386 5 395 95 95
Web site : www.brda.si
guided tourindividualAccess for invalidsGPS Northing (N)
: 45,9967 GPS Easting (E)
: 13,5236 , Notice of discounts
: European Youth Card:
50 % off ticket