Address: Titov trg 1 6000 Koper
A Gothic town loggia closes off the north side of the main square of Koper. It is located opposite the Praetor's Palace and represents its open antithesis.
The loggia was built anew in 1462 to replace the old one that stood in the area of the Praetor's Palace. Under the supervision of Nicholas from Piran and Thomas from Venice, a slender five-arched decorated ground floor facing the square and a four-arched one facing Verdi Street had been built by 1464. The loggia was decorated with coats-of-arms and seats for townsmen and noblemen. A terra-cotta statue of Mary was erected above the corner in 1555. In 1698 another storey was added to the loggia and two arches from the west side were moved on the ground floor. Above the slender stone pillars, the pointed Gothic arches are preserved. The three middle arches reach the ground, which is three steps above the level of the square. There are stone benches on the exterior side of the loggia by the square. The side pair of arches is closed by a balustrade.
The Koper loggia is the only preserved Gothic city loggia in Slovenia. Its ground floor houses a cafe. On the first floor, accessible by a steep staircase on the east side of the building, are gallery premises.
Tel. : ++386 5 673 26 89
Fax : ++386 5 673 26 90
Free of charge
GPS Northing (N) : 45,5485
GPS Easting (E) : 13,7297