Indirizzo: Stična 17, Stična, 1295 Ivančna Gorica
Telefono: ++386 1 787 71 00
Fax: ++386 1 787 75 70
Stična stands in a remote valley near the numerous traffic routes of Dolenjska near Ivančna Gorica and Šentvid. The Cistercian monastery was built in the first half of the 12th century in a valley that has had a continuous settlement since pre-historic times. After 1135 the construction was directed by the builder Michael from France, who later supposedly married a local woman and lived in the nearby Zgornja Draga.
He built an extensive stone three-nave Romanesque basilica with a transversal nave and five apses, as well as a cloister with a capital hall next to it and additional monastery buildings. The church was the largest sanctuary on our territory. With the development of the estate other facilities grew up as well: residence buildings, granaries, mills and barns. The monastery was protected with walls and numerous cylindrical towers, though this did not stop the Turkish plundering. The vaulted cloister, which was later painted (partly the school of Janez of Ljubljana, around 1470), had a capital hall that opened with two double windows.
The monastery used to be the medieval cultural centre of the Carniola region. In the beginning of the 17th century a prelature was built and its inside decoratively painted. In the entrance tower the masters of stuccowork created cartouches with various religious scenes. The Romanesque basilica was first done in Baroque style in 1623 and was shortened on the west side. The main nave was vaulted, the singing choir was built and the apsidal part was rearranged. During the rebuilding a tower with a Baroque crown was added at the crossing of the naves. Part of the rebuilding was planned before 1746 by the late Baroque builder from Ljubljana Candido Zulliani. In the first quarter of the 17th century the entrance tower was decorated with figural stuccowork. In the middle of the18th century a residence wing with the Abbot's Chapel was built (C. Zulliani). The chapel on the upper floor boasts refined Rococo stuccowork. The monastery was disbanded in 1784 and in 1898 it was renovated. Despite the dissolution in the 18th century some quality fittings remained in the monastery, most of them in the church (Fortunat Bergant, Johannes Michael Liechtenreith). In the last century they were supplemented by the architects Jože Plečnik, Anton Bitenc, Svetozar Križaj and other artists. The old prelature, the Baroque Abbot's Chapel and renovated stucco work in the entrance tower have been arranged. Stična Monastery is again a religious and an excellent cultural centre with the collection of the religious museum. The history of Christianity in Slovenia and the development of the Cistercian order are presented in the museum; the cultural and historical collection is set separately. Visitors enjoy viewing the gallery of the friar painter Gabrijel Humek and memorial exhibition of the friar and herbalist Simon Ašič. Baraga's Archives are accessible to experts as well. The monastery has a smaller shop of literature, souvenirs and monastery products.
The monastery is arranged for visits. The museum is open regularly.
GPS Northing (N)
: 45,957 GPS Easting (E)
: 14,8058 Nota – agevolazioni
: European Youth Card:
55 % off ticket to Slovene Museum of Christianity
Curatore : OTZ Ivančna Gorica | ++386 1 781 21 30 |