The Tscheligi Tower is the only still preserved tower of the five original towers on the northern defence wall.
. Also known as the Black Tower
it got this name from the renowned Maribor Tscheligi
brewery. Built between 1460-1465 this stone building, which is almost square in shape, is today surrounded by newly built blocks of flats. Nearby, at the corner of the streets Gregorčičeva and Gledališka ulica, stands the likewise connected to beer building of the former Gambrinus restaurant and hall.
The building was named after the legendary Flanders' king, King Gambrinus, who is supposed to have invented the process of brewing beer.
Tourist Information Centre Maribor
Partizanska cesta 6a
Tel. : ++386 2 234 66 11
Fax : ++386 2 234 66 13
Web site : www.maribor-pohorje.si
GPS Northing (N) : 46,5627
GPS Easting (E) : 15,6414